The Executive MBA Program has long had a mission to train the next generation of business leaders to transform companies with innovative programs that boost returns for shareholders, motivate employees and benefit society overall. The past year has presented an unprecedented new challenge — transitioning to an online learning environment to ensure we keep our community safe without sacrificing any of the qualities that distinguish the Foster EMBA Program.
I’m pleased to report on the progress we’ve made in a year like no other and provide an update on the Program going forward.
– Louise A. Kapustka, Executive Director, Executive MBA Program
UW classes, including all EMBA courses, have been conducted online since March 2020 and will continue online through the spring quarter of 2021.
So you think you have Zoom fatigue? Consider that EMBA students *get* to add 6+ class hours/week as well as help sessions and team meetings to their already lengthy Zoom viewing hours! Fingers crossed for a return to campus for classes in the fall.
EMBA Faculty adapted to their virtual classrooms to engage students, including providing asynchronous sessions, breakout room case discussions, real-time surveys, and simulations. In a challenging environment, our faculty and students alike have shown remarkable resilience and dedication.
“Traditional” EMBA events have morphed to virtual gatherings, including:
- The June 2020 capstone Business Plan Competition and Commencement Ceremony
- The August 2020 Orientation sessions
- The first year September “Residence”
- The second year September 2020 “International Immersion” was initially moved to March 2021 spring break. As global travel is still not possible, the “Immersions” are being offered virtually from March 15 – 19.
Individual cohorts and the EMBA Staff have created virtual opportunities throughout the year for students to connect with each other and faculty
- All Cohort “Meet your EMBA colleagues,” November 18, 2020
- Monthly 22 Ugly Sweater Fund Raiser, December 4, 2020
- All Cohort EMBA Friends & Family Holiday Happening, December 10, 2020
- All Cohort Networking and Bingo, January 21, 2021
- Weekly 38 Cohort twice monthly Coffee Break Winter quarter, 2021
Predictably, the careers of EMBA students and applicants and their families have been inordinately impacted by the virus. We had a record number of requests for On-Leave status, as well as Matriculation Deferral. The good news is that our students are now returning and early recruiting interest for fall 2021 looks promising!