Robert Palmatier, a professor of marketing at the UW Foster School of Business, has received the 2020 Lifetime Achievement Award from the Interorganizational Research Group (i.e., business-to-business marketing) at the American Marketing Association (AMA).
This career recognition is all the more remarkable considering Palmatier only earned his PhD (from the University of Missouri) in 2004 and joined the Foster School in 2007—after serving five years as an officer on a nuclear submarine in the United States Navy and another ten years as a senior executive at Raychem Corporation and C&K Components.
At Foster, Palmatier is the John C. Narver Endowed Professor in Business Administration the founding research director of the Center for Sales and Marketing Strategy.
His research—more than 74 papers published in peer-reviewed journals and 9 books to date—has offered sustained and significant insights in the areas of CRM marketing, loyalty programs, online marketing, data analytics, sales management and sales channels and retail management.
It’s an extraordinary body of work by any measure. And it has yielded enough awards to collapse a trophy case. Here are a few:
- The Vijay Mahajan Award for Career Contributions to Marketing Strategy (2019), a singular honor from the AMA recognizing his influential scholarship in in the field.
- The Shelby D Hunt/Harold H. Maynard Best Paper Award (2008, 2017) for “significant contribution to marketing theory and thought” in the AMA’s Journal of Marketing.
- The Sheth Foundation/Journal of Marketing Award (2016) awarded for the paper that has made the most significant long-term contribution to the discipline of marketing.
- The Robert D. Buzzell Best Paper Award (2016, 2018) from the Marketing Science Institute (MSI).
- The Louis W. Stern Award (2011, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2019) for contributions to theory and practice, originality, technical competence and impact on the field of channels of distribution.
- The William R. Davidson Award (2019), honoring the best paper in the Journal of Retailing.
- The Varadarajan Early Contribution to Marketing Strategy Resource (2012).
- The SMA Palgrave Promising Young Scholar Award (2008).
- The Marketing Science Institute Young Scholar Award (2007).
In 2018, the AMA ranked Palmatier the 10th most prolific marketing researcher in the world in the journals that matter most—the Journal of Marketing, the Journal of Marketing Research, Marketing Science and the Journal of Consumer Research—over the period from 2008 to 2017. Clarivate Analytics listed him as a highly cited research (top 1 percent) in 2017, 2018 and 2019.
At the Foster School, Palmatier has received the Dean’s Award for Excellence in Research (2017), the Dean’s Leadership Award (2017), the Andrew V. Smith Award for Service (2014), the PhD Mentor Award (2010, 2015), the Robert M. Bowen EMBA Excellence in Teaching Award (four times), the Dean’s Junior Faculty Research Award (2009).
AMA’s Interorganizational Special Interest Group works to facilitate interaction among academic members of the AMA with an interest in channels of distribution, business-to-business marketing, supply chain management, logistics and business alliances.